Short Folks For Hope Foundation
Short Folks For Hope Foundation was founded in September 2012 by Kristen Short, a wife and mother of three young children who was diagnosed with breast cancer in July 2010. After her diagnosis, Kristen and her family were faced with the reality that a cancer journey presents many challenges physically, emotionally, spiritually and financially. The Short Family became actively involved with The Patrick Dempsey Center for Cancer Hope & Healing of Lewiston, Maine and received support services which helped Kristen prepare for and cope with the rigors of cancer treatment and journey to wellness and helped their children get involved in fun workshops and projects with other kids and families affected by cancer. These wonderful services are offered by the Dempsey Center free of charge to those impacted by cancer. The Short Family began participating in The Dempsey Challenge, fundraising walk/run/cycle event for The Dempsey Center in 2011, to celebrate life, foster hope and support the center so they can continue to help more families. The Short Family has raised over $10,000 for The Dempsey Center with their personal fundraising efforts.
Kristen enjoys inspiring kids to become involved in helping others in fun ways and in 2012 she and her children also became a part of Team NEGU of the Jessie Rees Foundation, helping kids with cancer to “NEGU – Never Ever Give Up.” Kristen founded the Short Folks For Hope Foundation with the mission:
- to raise money and awareness for cancer support care organizations with demonstrated excellence in providing compassionate, high-quality cancer support services free of charge to those impacted by cancer;
- to raise money and awareness for cancer treatment research;
- to inspire youth to make a difference in their communities and to spread hope to those in need by:
- motivating and guiding youth to be active, compassionate, creative, hope-fostering members of our communities; and
- providing recognition awards for outstanding charitable efforts by youth.
Allie Short’s “Yippie Yarn Creations”
Ian Short’s “Ian’s LEGOs-To-Go”
Isaiah Short’s “Isaiah’s Bands & Badges of Hope”
Singer/Songwriter Kristen Short’s “”Chairs” CD/video (dedicated to the Patrick Dempsey Center for Cancer Hope & Healing), and “Music of Hope for the Journey” CDs
The Short Family’s “Cool Treats For Charity” frozen treat pushcart business
Christopher Short’s photography